Memo Pad Plan
List of Material
A=3 1/2 x 8" Board (1")
B=3 x 4 1/2" Board (1")
C&D=1/2" x 5" Piece of Metal (old hacksaw blade or similar)
E=1/4 x 5 1/2" Dowel
F=4 Screws #6 or #8 (1 1/4" Long)
G=4 Screws #4 or #6 (1/2" Long)
Roll of Paper (Calculator or Cash Register type)
Paint or Clear Finish
This Memo Pad is designed to hold a roll of paper 3" wide and up to 4" in diameter.
It can be made for any size roll of paper by changing dimensions.
Any kind of wood may be used. A nice hardwood with a clear finish looks very good.
Cut Out Instructions for Wood:
1. Piece A (qty 1) is just a piece of wood 3 1/2" by 8".
2. Piece B (qty 2) is a 3" by 4 1/2" piece of wood. Mark the dowel hole location by measuring 3" from one end and 1 1/2" from an edge. Do not drill the dowel hole yet.
Using a drawing compass set for a 3" circle, put the compass point on the dowel hole location and draw the rounded top of piece B and saw on the line.
Now drill the 1/4" hole for the dowel. The dowel should fit snugly in the hole. Also drill a pencil/pen holder hole about 1 1/4" deep appoximately where shown in the side view. The hole should be large enough to hold a pen or pencil loosely.
3. Pieces C & D are identical. Any thin flat piece of metal can be used. An old hacksaw blade works well. Measure 3/4" from one end and mark with pencil line. Bend the blade 90 degrees at the line. Lay the metal piece onto wood piece A and mark the other bend line. After the second bend you should have a U shaped piece of metal that will lay snugly onto wood piece A. Refer to the Side View and drill a hole into each bent over end of the metal piece, large enough for screw G.
Assembly: (Refer to Top View and Side View)
1. Fasten the two side pieces B to bottom piece A with the four screws, F.
2. Apply a finish (either paint or stain and/or varnish) to the project.
3. Fasten metal piece C, 1/4" from the end of piece A, with two screws, G. Drill a pilot hole into the wood using the hole in the metal as a guide.
4. Fasten metal piece D, 1/4" from edge of piece B, with two screws, G. Drill a pilot hole into the wood using the hole in the metal as a guide.
1. Insert the dowel into one side piece, thru hole in the roll of paper, and out thru the hole in the other side piece.
2. Thread paper as shown in the Side View.
3. Write the memo on the paper between the two metal pieces, moving the paper down if necessary. Tear off the paper as shown in the Side View.
Please send E-Mail if you have any questions or comments about this plan.
Return to Woodworking Page
Return to Home Page
Last updated 29 Dec 2006